This position ensures all laboratory specimens, once received to the department, are processed through accessioning to final diagnosis and all support processes therein. Laboratory Services support is extended to other core operation areas as needed, such as: Client Services, Training, Safety, and Compliance and with other areas to be added as the company develops. This position seeks guidance from the Client Services in matters related to client requirements, Sales in matters related to new clients and contacts. As a lead, additional responsibilities include ongoing training of peers, making the Laboratory Manager aware of any workflow issues, and helping coordinate the daily activities of the team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures and practices.
- Ability to operate and maintain all instruments and equipment authorized within the Laboratory
- Experienced in laboratory services, such as Embedding, Microtomy and Boarding processes.
- Oriented to safety and quality assurance procedures with ability to function within or
above regulatory agency requirements.
- Performs multiple tasks such as; accessioning, restocking of laboratory supplies, dispose
of bio-hazard waste, and cleanliness of work space to maintain overall laboratory work flow.
- Ability to perform laboratory mathematics
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted activities
- Ability to look beyond daily functions to implement higher standards through evaluation and education
- Advocate and example of team concept
- Superior interpersonal communication: tactful, mature, flexible and professional
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; resourceful and organized
- Assumes other duties as assigned by management
- Understands and observes all confidentiality and HIPAA provisions
- Recognizes and conveys to management any departmental improvements necessary
- Responsible for all equipment in assigned areas of work
- Must obey all safety rules and regulations at all times
- Responsible for maintenance and submission of timesheets by required deadline.
Education and Experience
- Must meet CLIA requirements for testing personnel — moderate to high complexity.
- Bachelor’s degree in science-related field from an accredited university
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in a medical/research laboratory setting.
- Possess ability to develop and lead team members in the workflow according to shift goals
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory quality and safety regulations
- Experience operating PCR instrumentation, including maintenance, troubleshooting, and data review
- Familiarity preparing and reading manual differentials preferred
- Experience using and creating general documents using MS Office Suite and/or Google documents
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Advanced technical and communication skills
- Oversight of workflow and competencies
- Strong problem-solving skills
Work Environment: May work in a variety of laboratory environments at Biosafety Levels I or II. They spend much of their time on their feet, actively working with patient samples on complex equipment.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: Work related travel will be minimal (see responsibilities).
Employee Signature Date
It is the policy of Recovery Centers of America (RCA) to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.