This position is laboratory bench level work for Anatomical Pathology in order to guarantee that all laboratory specimens are accurately and efficiently handled. Proficiency in duties such as grossing, processing, embedding, microtomy, staining, cover slipping, and quality control of histology specimens is required. Ability to acquire other skills and training i.e. Immunohistochemistry and other special stains as necessary. This is a team environment, so effective communication skills are critical. Ability to provide training in all aspects of routine histology processing to new employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures and practices.
- Ability to operate and maintain all instruments and equipment authorized within the Laboratory
- Experienced in laboratory services, such as Embedding, Microtomy and Boarding processes.
- Oriented to safety and quality assurance procedures with ability to function within or
above regulatory agency requirements.
- Performs multiple tasks such as: accessioning, restocking of laboratory supplies, dispose
of bio-hazard waste, and cleanliness of work space to maintain overall laboratory work flow.
- Ability to perform laboratory mathematics
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted activities
- Ability to look beyond daily functions to implement higher standards through evaluation and education
- Advocate and example of team concept
- Superior interpersonal communication: tactful, mature, flexible and professional
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; resourceful and organized
- Assumes other duties as assigned by management
- Understands and observes all confidentiality and HIPAA provisions
- Recognizes and conveys to management any departmental improvements necessary
- Responsible for all equipment in assigned areas of work
- Must obey all safety rules and regulations at all times
- Responsible for maintenance and submission of timesheets by required deadline.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in science-related field from an accredited university
ASCP Certification preferred
2+ years as a histotechnologist.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the Laboratory and the public.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to deliver information and results in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to effectively supervise personnel and complete all associated personnel actions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ability to maintain and repair analytical instrumentation.
- Ability to effectively operate a chemistry laboratory and direct student employees.
- Ability to maintain inventory of chemicals and laboratory equipment.
Work Environment: May work in a variety of laboratory environments at Biosafety Levels I or II. They spend much of their time on their feet, actively working with patient samples on complex equipment.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: Travel is primarily local during the business day as needed, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected
Employee Signature Date
It is the policy of Recovery Centers of America (RCA) to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.