Position Overview: Lead all cash management and cash posting functions for the lab revenue cycle team. This individual will serve as a leader responsible for engaging staff and implementing best practice workflows to ensure prompt and accurate payment posting and cash reconciliation for all depository accounts. This position interacts daily with team members and other departments to quickly resolve cash posting while enhancing the patient and customer experience.
- Demonstrates exceptional analytical abilities for evaluating information and developing forecasts.
- Exhibits strong communication skills in order to interface with internal and external stakeholders, including vendors.
- Possesses strong project management abilities to effectively execute process changes, oversee personnel, and manage various financial contracting arrangements, such as client billing, hybrid accounts, insurance billing and federally funded programs.
- Demonstrates strong technical skills, such as Microsoft Excel and Word, in order to effectively perform job duties.
- Exhibits strong communication skills and positive attitude with internal (team members, other departments, and leadership) and external customers (patients, insurance companies, vendors, clients and employers).
- Defuses volatile situations in a calm, objective, and tactful manner. Directs customer complaints to leadership for immediate response if unable to resolve.
- Distributes internal policies and procedures to staff.
- Manages the depository process for paper checks and prioritizes the implementation of electronic depository transactions whenever available.
- Leads and supports the daily bank reconciliation for all depository bank accounts while collaborating with the finance team(s) regarding any issues or unreconciled items.
- Ensures distribution of workload is appropriate and adjusts as necessary.
- Ensures accuracy of the cash application process, including auditing and providing feedback and education, as needed, to further develop staff.
- Researches and resolves any payment discrepancies or variances.
- Manages the Cash Team and performs attendance and payroll based upon company deadlines and policies.
- Reviews and distributes credit balance accounts for resolution while ensuring compliance and corporate integrity is a priority in the process.
- Leads and actively participates in projects, initiatives and audits involving cash application and process.
- Responsible for coaching and developing the Cash Team to meet / exceed departmental goals and objectives for productivity, timeliness and quality.
- Maintains Cash Applications documentation including, but not limited to, process flows, training documents, policies, procedures and reference guides.
- Researches and identifies the root cause(s) of recurring cash application issues and other related issues and implement solutions.
- Communicates performance concerns to key leadership stakeholders.
- Assists with leading staff meetings and provides education to internal department team members.
- Selects priorities and organizes work and time to meet them in order of importance.
- Performs office related support tasks, clerical duties and/or general office duties which may include creating reports, typing, filing, faxing, answering telephones, taking messages, and making copies.
- Generates reports and takes actions to report on Key Performance Indicators such as clean claim rate, days in accounts receivable, bad debt percentage, etc.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, initiative, and judgment.
- Exhibits poise, tact, and compassion dealing with patients and customers.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- General knowledge acquired through completion of bachelor’s degree or financial work experience equivalent.
- A comprehensive understanding of insurance payments and explanations of benefits, regulatory requirements and regulations, payer contract compliance, credit and collection procedures, federally funded programs as well as a familiarity of laboratory terminology is required. This level of experience would generally be acquired through a five years’ experience in lab billing and/or finance.
- Work requires excellent leadership with the ability to create action plans to meet operational performance metrics.
- Work requires advanced reading, writing and oral communication skills as well as the knowledge to perform mathematical calculations.
- The job requires analytical and critical thinking ability in researching data as seen online, on standard reports, and on spreadsheets. In addition, the work requires demonstrated project and time management skills and an ability to work effectively over the phone and in a team environment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in data entry and keyboarding skills.
- 4+ years’ experience in a position meeting and communicating with the public.
- 4+ years of billing, payment posting, or account receivable experience in a healthcare setting
- Supervisory experience of at least five direct reports required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint
Customer Service: Demonstrates concern for meeting internal and external customers’ needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer within the resources that can be made available.
Integrity: Upholds personal and professional ethics and values, considering the values of RCA and respecting the culture, beliefs and abilities of individuals.
Ability to effectively deal with difficult people: the ability to respond to difficult customer behavior with diplomacy and tact including defusing anger, creating rapport an influencing behavior.
Work Environment: May work in a variety of environments including professional offices, clinics, hospitals, or out-patient facilities. They spend much of their time on their feet, actively working with patients.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected