The ideal candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where she/he will have the opportunity to work in all aspects of the laboratory and contribute to the growth of the company, as well as develop his/her career. This position is directly under the supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor and Lab Manager in the Molecular Division. The Technical Assistant Lead position requires leadership skills and the ability to manage a small group of staff. Technical Assistant Lead position is responsible for conducting procedures in a high complexity laboratory environment according to laboratory and lab operations standard operating procedures. The position of Technical Assistant Lead is broad in scope encompassing a strong background in basic sciences and at least one to eleven months of experience in patient related testing is preferred. All test systems in the lab are molecular based and require strong attention to detail to perform DNA/RNA extractions and assays with specialized molecular techniques and analysis instrumentation. Key to performance will be efficiency in the daily workflow, proactive approach to training, and demonstration of solid team building and awareness.
- Leads the Technical Assistant team in the pre-analytic and post-analytic laboratory process.
- Assists in the performance of complex molecular diagnostic DNA based tests in a high complexity laboratory
- Ensures the laboratory is kept in a safe working environment and in compliance with OSHA and other laboratory safety standards.
- Participates in all Out of Specification (OOS) and Out of Trend (OOT) investigations within the Molecular Lab.
- Handle clinical samples and interface with the laboratory information management system.
- Interact with operations and accessioning personnel in conjunction with molecular lab testing workflow and meeting case turn-around-times.
- Participate in CAP and Alternate Proficiency testing programs.
Education and Experience
- Must meet CLIA requirements for testing personnel — moderate to high complexity
- At least working toward a Bachelor’s/Associate’s degree in a science-related field
- Knowledge of PCR based procedures and PCR contamination control required
- Less than one year of experience in molecular lab science
- Managing skills and ability to motivate team members in the workflow according to shift goals
- Data analysis and data entry
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory quality and safety regulations
- Experience operating PCR instrumentation, including maintenance, troubleshooting, and data review
- Work to be proficient in All Lab testing platforms, but within the pre- and post-analytic steps
- Familiarity preparing and reading manual differentials preferred
- Experience using and creating general documents using MS Office Suite and/or Google documents
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication
- All other duties as assigned
Work Environment: May work in a variety of laboratory environments at Biosafety Levels I or II. They spend much of their time on their feet, actively working with patient samples on complex equipment.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: Work related travel will be minimal.